Sunday 16 January 2011

Cream Tea with everything










"To the Albion" I bellow! Yes, I am about 4 years behind on this, but having walked past this heaving corner haven on Redchurch Street countless times, all I saw was somewhere I deemed as pretentious, overpriced and catering from the modern gentry of the new East. Sausage and mash? Not for moi. How wrong I was.
Readers, it's all about afternoon tea and cake. One of my many gastronomical indulgences, it's a ritual I've grown up with, and tended to happen most on grim winter weekends. My parents always favoured freshly-brewed Asam or Darjeeling, accompanied by something dry and sticky like fruit cake. There is never any guilt in suggesting something similar when I gather with my family. The Albion popped to mind mainly due to proximity (although I'm aware it's just one of many divine East End eateries). Friends, go for the cream tea - a lovely selection of brews, although sadly no fresh leaves, the largest fluffiest tea cake, clotted cream, jam et all. And as this is for the very greedy, they throw in slithers of brownie, flapjack and fruit cake....wicked wicked wicked.

I walked off the calories strolling around the shop, filling up an imaginary shopping basket. Particularly delighted by Artisan Biscuits' packaging, another thing I'm a sucker for.

My next post will not involve food.

No comments:

Post a Comment